Welcome to Makerhood, a showcase for local makers in Lambeth.
Our aim is to create connections – between different local makers, between makers and local businesses, and between makers and the local community. We believe this is good for us as individuals and for our communities, our economy and our environment.
Have a look at our blog to find out more about our activities!
Who are we?
We are local people from all walks of life, ages and backgrounds, united by our passion for creativity, skills, and sustainable consumption who came together to launch Makerhood in Brixton in 2010. The project has been growing ever since, with more people joining, volunteering and making new friends in the community. Westarted a new makers' group in Norwood in 2012, and in 2013 expanded our work across Lambeth. We are also supporting a new Makerhood Battersea pilot in Wandsworth.
Are you a local maker?
Join our Makers’ Club. It offers:
- help to promote you and your work to local buyers, retailers and event organisers
- a chance to advertise your workshops and classes
- selling opportunities and discounts with local businesses
- business development and networking events
- opportunities to share information and support with other makers.
Are you interested in locally-made goods and creative activities?
- see the work of local makers and find out where they sell, or commission bespoke items
- discover unique items that aren’t available anywhere else
- find local markets, events and creative workshops to learn new skills.
Are you a Lambeth business or event organiser?
By becoming a partner or sponsoring our events you can:
- easily and quickly raise your profile among the local creative community
- receive promotion in our regular newsletters and social media
- show your visible support for local creative start-ups.
We’re a social enterprise led by volunteers. We have several working groups, such as events and PR, where people get together to plan and carry out activities. The volunteers really enjoy this, as they learn new skills and meet new people - we’re a mixed and supportive bunch! We also have an Advisory Group that helps steer our roll-out across Lambeth.
If you’d like to volunteer, drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Legally, we are a Community Interest Company with a community interest statement that outlines our aims. The membership contributions from our Makers’ Club help to cover our running costs of £2-3k a year, including website maintenance, publicity costs, events insurance, and accounting and legal charges.
In 2012 we were highly commended in the Lambeth Business Awards and were made Lambeth Champions in recognition of our contribution to the community. We also received a grant from the Lambeth Community Foundation in the same year to support our business model development.
In 2013 we won the support of Lambeth Council's Transformation board to help us fund the initial roll-out costs for Makerhood Lambeth.
If you want to find out more or collaborate in any way, just email email@example.com.